Nearly 150 dead in 3 days of clashes in Nigerian city

JOS, Nigeria. January 20. KAZINFORM Nearly 150 Nigerians have been killed and dozens injured in three days of clashes between Muslim and Christian gangs in the central city of Jos, where police imposed a 24-hour curfew.
None
None

The governor of Plateau state on Tuesday sent extra security forces to the state capital to prevent a repetition of clashes in November 2008, when hundreds of residents were killed in the country's worst sectarian fighting in years.

"On Sunday evening we buried 19 corpses, and 52 yesterday. As of now, there are 78 at the mosque yet to be buried," said Muhammad Tanko Shittu, a worker organizing mass burials at the city's main mosque, adding 90 people had been injured.

This week's violence erupted after an argument between Muslim and Christian neighbors over the rebuilding of homes destroyed in the 2008 clashes.

The clashes are unlikely to have a major impact on sub-Saharan Africa's second biggest economy. Its oil industry is in the south and its banking sector mainly in the commercial hub Lagos.

A police spokesman said calm had been restored in most neighborhoods in Jos, but residents said they could still hear sporadic gunfire and see smoke from burning houses and churches.

Vice-President Goodluck Jonathan, who has taken over ceremonial duties from ailing President Umaru Yar'Adua, has ordered military troops and the government's top security chiefs to Jos to restore calm.

"I assure you that the federal government is on top of the situation in Jos and the situation is under control," said Ima Niboro, spokesman for the vice-president.

The state's governor, Jonah Jang, was expected to address Nigerians in a live TV broadcast later on Tuesday.

A Red Cross spokesman said around 2,000 residents had left their homes and taken shelter at a nearby college. Some were injured with machete and gunshot wounds, he said, Kazinform refers to The Arab News.

See www.arabnews.com

Most popular
See All