Lee: South Korea to present clear evidence related to warship sinking

SEOUL. May 20. KAZINFORM South Korea on Thursday will present clear and definitive material evidence related to the mysterious sinking of its warship in March, President Lee Myung-bak said Wednesday; Kazinform refers to Xinhua.
None
None

Lee made the remark during a 20-minute phone call with Japanese Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama late Wednesday, according to a press release from Cheong Wa Dae, the presidential office of South Korea.

South Korea will present evidence that can't be refuted by any country or person while announcing the outcome of an investigation conducted by a multinational team on the cause of the sinking of its Cheonan frigate, Lee was quoted as saying.

In the phone conversation, Lee and Hatoyama agreed on close cooperation and pushing for strong international collaboration in taking follow-up measures after the announcement, the press release said.

The press release did not mention whether Lee directly touched upon who is responsible for the incident.

Foreign Minister Yu Myung-hwan told local reporters earlier that the involvement of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) in the Cheonan incident was "obvious," saying that the ongoing investigation has revealed that the previously unidentified explosion was caused by "the detonation of a torpedo."

The DPRK has denied involvement in the sinking of the Cheonan; Kazinform cites Xinhua.

Most popular
See All