Israel pays UN 10.5 million dollars for damage in Gaza assault

UNITED NATIONS. January 23. KAZINFORM Israel has paid the United Nations 10.5 million U.S. dollars for damage the world organization suffered in Gaza during Israel's three and a half week assault in 2008-2009 of the Palestinian enclave, the United Nations announced on Friday; Kazinform refers to Xinhua.
None
None

Although Israel acknowledged no responsibility for damage, it was the first time such a payment was made to anyone for the attack on the Palestinians just over a year ago. A number of UN sites were damaged during the attack, including two schools and a World Food Program warehouse. No UN personnel were killed although a few were injured or wounded.

"An arrangement has now been finalized between the United Nations and Israel," said Martin Nesirky, spokesman for UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon.

He explained that in July last year, the United Nations sent to the Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs a claim for reimbursement for the losses the United Nations had sustained in a number of incidents that occurred during the Gaza conflict of Dec. 27 2008 to Jan. 19 2009.

Since that time, discussions have taken place between the United Nations and Israel further to that claim. Earlier this month Nesirky said Ban and Israeli Defense Minister Ehud Barak conferred by telephone on the discussions as the talks were nearing conclusion; Kazinform cites Xinhua.

See www.xinhuanet.com for full version

Most popular
See All