Containment at three Japan reactors intact

FUKUSHIMA. March 22. KAZINFORM Containment at three reactors at Japan's crippled nuclear plants is currently intact, US nuclear regulators said, although a plume of smoke from two buildings Monday temporarily stalled critical work to reconnect power lines and restore cooling systems; Kazinform refers to Arab News.
None
None

Workers are racing to bring the nuclear plant under control, but the process is proceeding in fits and starts, stalled by incidents like the smoke and by the need to work methodically to make sure wiring, pumps and other machinery can be safely switched on.

"Our crisis is still going on. Our crisis is with the nuclear plants. We are doing everything we can to bring this to an end," Gov. Yuhei Sato of Fukushima prefecture, where the plant is located, told some 1,400 people moved away from areas around the plant to a gymnasium 80 km away. "Don't give up. We know you are suffering." "Please get us out of here," yelled Harunobu Suzuki, a 63-year-old truck driver.

What caused the smoke to billow first from Unit 3 at the Fukushima Dai-ichi plant and later from Unit 2 is under investigation, nuclear safety agency officials said. Workers were evacuated from the area to buildings nearby, and officials said they were checking radiation levels. In the days since the March 11 earthquake and tsunami wrecked the plant's cooling systems, both reactors have overheated and seen explosions.

Meeting in Washington for an update on conditions at Fukushima, the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission said units 1, 2 and 3 have all seen damage to their reactor cores, but the containment structures are holding. The assessment dispels some concerns about Unit 2, where an explosion damaged a pressure-reducing chamber around the bottom of the reactor core. "I would say optimistically that things appear to be on the verge of stabilizing," said Bill Borchardt, the commission's executive director for operations.

Problems set off by the disasters have ranged far beyond the devastated northeast coast and the wrecked nuclear plant, handing the government what it has called Japan's worst crisis since World War II. Rebuilding the damage may cost as much as $235 billion. Police estimate the death toll will surpass 18,000.

Traces of radiation are tainting vegetables and some water supplies, causing the government to ban sale of raw milk, spinach and canola from prefectures over a swath from the plant toward Tokyo. The government has just started to test fish and shellfish.

Although the government and health experts say the small amounts do not pose a risk to human health in the short-term, China, Japan's biggest trading partner, ordered testing of Japanese food imports for radiation contamination. The World Health Organization said Japan will have to do more to reassure the public about food safety.

"Walking outside for a day and eating food repeatedly are two different things. This is why they're going to have to take some decisions quickly in Japan to shut down and stop food being used completely from zones which they feel might be affected," said WHO spokesman Gregory Hartl.

The troubles at Fukushima have in some ways overshadowed the natural catastrophe, threatening a wider disaster if the plant spews more concentrated forms of radiation than it has so far.

The nuclear safety agency and Tokyo Electric reported significant progress over the weekend and Monday.

Electrical teams, having finished connecting three of the plant's six units, worked to connect the rest by Tuesday, the utility said; Kazinform cites Arab News.

See www.arabnews.com for full version

Most popular
See All