U.S. aircraft carrier USS George Washington arrives in Arabian Sea

The USS George Washington has arrived in the Arabian Sea as the United States adjusts its naval presence in the Middle East, following growing criticism over the conditions aboard another U.S. aircraft carrier involved in the conflict with Iran, Qazinform News Agency cites Al Jazeera.

photo: QAZINFORM

US Central Command (CENTCOM) said on Thursday that the George Washington arrived in the Arabian Sea on Wednesday as part of a “scheduled deployment”. The move comes as the USS Abraham Lincoln begins its journey back to the United States.

The deployment means the U.S. currently has no aircraft carrier stationed in the Western Pacific, despite Washington’s continued strategic focus on the region.

The USS Lincoln had been deployed for months and was originally operating off the coast of Venezuela before being redirected following the outbreak of the U.S.-Israel war with Iran on February 28. The carrier set a U.S. naval record for the longest deployment without a port stop.

The prolonged deployment has drawn renewed attention to conditions aboard the vessel. Reports have cited shortages of food and hygiene supplies, as well as maintenance problems linked to the carrier’s extended time at sea.

Families of some of the approximately 5,000 sailors and Marines aboard the Lincoln have also described the psychological strain of the deployment. Several families told U.S. media that service members had experienced severe mental health difficulties, including reported attempts to jump overboard.

Democratic lawmakers have called for an investigation, arguing that the situation raises broader questions about the Trump administration’s planning and the readiness of U.S. forces after months of conflict with Iran.

The carrier rotation comes as tensions remain high around the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world’s most important maritime trade routes.

Although fighting has recently paused, Iran has continued to assert its influence over the strategic waterway. The Trump administration, meanwhile, has said it can maintain its blockade of Iranian ports indefinitely.

A CENTCOM spokesperson told Al Jazeera on Thursday that the U.S. military had facilitated the passage of 1,300 ships through the Strait of Hormuz. The spokesperson also confirmed that the USS Abraham Lincoln was heading back to the United States.

U.S. President Donald Trump and senior Pentagon officials have largely rejected reports about poor conditions aboard the Lincoln, describing the situation instead as wartime austerity.

The latest naval deployment also comes amid uncertainty over diplomatic efforts between Washington and Tehran. Talks between the two sides have not resumed following the expiration of a memorandum of understanding intended to establish a longer-term path towards ending the war.

On Thursday, Trump announced what he called a “crushing economic operation” against Iran, threatening countries that continue doing business with Tehran with what he described as “tremendous economic consequences”.

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi dismissed the announcement as a distraction and said the policy would lead to further U.S. setbacks.