SKP doesn't confirm info on killer of cleric's hiding abroad
MOSCOW. January 27. KAZINFORM The Moscow department of the Investigations Committee under the Prosecutor General's Office (SKP) has not confirmed the information that the suspected killer of Orthodox priest Daniil Sysoyev had fled abroad, Kazinform refers to Itar-Tass.
"We don't confirm the media reports released on Wednesday that the suspect in this case is abroad," spokeswoman for the SKP's Moscow department Larisa Merkulova told Itar-Tass on Wednesday.
Daniil Sysoyev, 35, the father superior of St Thomas Church, was gunned down in the evening of November 19, 2009. An unidentified man walked into the Church at approximately at 22:40, Moscow time, and fired at least four shots at Sysoyev and choirmaster of his church, Vladimir Strelbitsky, 41, who was seriously injured.
Father Daniil died in the ambulance on the way to hospital. Strelbitsky was rushed to a Moscow hospital.
The investigators said religious hate was behind the crime. Daniil had been threatened for his religious activity for a long time.
The Moscow police chief and the SKP are supervising the investigation into the high-profile case.
Father Daniil is survived by his wife and three children, Kazinform cites Itar-Tass. See www.iatr-tass.com for full version.