New Year firecrackers injure nearly 500 Filipinos
MANILA. January 2. KAZINFORM Despite a government scare campaign, firecrackers and gunfire injured nearly 500 people in the Philippines as revelers welcomed the new year in one of the world's most raucous and dangerous celebrations; Kazinform refers to Arab News.
About a dozen plane flights, including two from the United States, were diverted or canceled early Sunday after dark smog caused by a night of firecracker explosions obscured visibility at Manila's airport, officials said.
Health Secretary Enrique Ona said the number of injuries - 454 from firecracker blasts and 18 from stray bullets - was slightly lower than last year but remained alarming.
Injured revelers, including many children, filled hospital emergency rooms in the capital shortly after midnight. Adding to the chaos, two gangs clashed in front of Manila's main government hospital attending to the injured, leaving one man dead from a gunshot wound.
Firecrackers ignited at least three fires that destroyed several houses in the capital area.
"Again, it seems our appeal to mothers to keep their children away from firecrackers wasn't effective," Ona told a news conference.
All of the fingers on farmer Alvin Barroga's right hand were injured by a firecracker that exploded prematurely in northern Isabela province. He writhed in pain as a doctor treated his wounds in a hospital; Kazinform cites Arab News.
To learn more go to www.arabnews.com.cn