Kenya Tana River renewed ethnic clashes 'kill 32'

NAIROBI. September 10. KAZINFORM At least 32 people have been killed in renewed ethnic clashes in south-east Kenya, a Red Cross official has said.

photo: QAZINFORM

Caleb Kilande, who is at the scene, said seven policemen were among the dead, AFP news agency reports, Kazinform has learned from BBC.

More than 50 people were killed in the eastern Tana River district last month during the worst violence since disputed elections five years ago.

Rival ethnic groups have been involved in tit-for-tat clashes over cattle-grazing rights in the region.

"Tensions remain high in the area, but the fighting has stopped," Ms Kilande is quoted as saying.

The Red Cross earlier said Kilelengwani village was attacked on Monday by more than 300 people and houses were burned.

"The bodies have not been removed from the ground... The situation is getting dangerous, something needs to be done urgently," Kenya Red Cross chief Abbas Gullet said in a statement, AFP news agency reports.