Bodies of six miners found in Raspadskaya coalmine
MEZHDURECHENSK. May 13. KAZINFORM The bodies of six miners have been found in the Raspadskaya coalmine, and the search is being continued for another 24 miners, an official at the damage control headquarters (DCHq) told Itar-Tass on Thursday. So, the death toll has risen to 66; Kazinform refers to Itar-Tass.
The DCHq official specified that the search is greatly hampered by large goafs at a depth of about 400 metres. The six bodies were found in the remotest sector of the mine. Rescuers believe that most miners are precisely in that area. This is why rescuers' main efforts are directed towards breaking through over there.
The gas situation in the underground workings is being normalized. The ventilation system has not been re-activated in full so far.
The overall length of the underground workings of the coalmine is 311 km.
Two powerful methane bursts had occurred at the Raspadskaya coalmine here on the night from May 8 to 9.
Prime Minister Vladimir Putin -- who visited the disaster area on May 11 and held an action meeting on the elimination of the aftermath of the disaster and on aid to the injured and to the families of those who died in the accident -- said a human factor had been suspected to be the cause of the first burst, whereas the second burst had fully ruled it out; Kazinform cites Itar-Tass.